Tuesday, November 11, 2008

11/10: 7/10's

I went to the Noon class today with Angel. You are probably asking yourself, "Noon class on a weekday, huh?" Well I was fortunate enough to get laid off last week, so I now have some time around lunch to make a workout, and wow, was it nice to be outside during the weekday! More on this later, let's get on to the workout:

Workout:
5 Rounds for time
7 Squat Cleans (30# DB's)
10 Burpees

Time: 7:01

I felt good during this workout. Whether that was because it was the middle of the day or I was just excited to be outside, I don't know. What I do know is I should have gone heavier. I definitely could have finished in the 8 minute range with 40's. The burpees were the worst for me. My back has been real sore since doing some deadlifting last week and the motion of the burpees was a little painful, but hey, you have to endure some pain to get what you want, NOTHING COMES EASY!

Now a couple of thoughts on getting laid off. While going from a guaranteed salary and getting checks every 2 weeks to having no income obviously is not fun, I can do nothing but look at this as a positive thing. I don't have kids to support, I don't have any pets to feed, and I have a chance now to really look at what makes me happy in everyday life. Not many people get the opportunity to do this. The thought of going back into another office setting and sitting at a cubicle in order to fill the "hours" I was told I have to be there, sounds like the worst idea in the world. We were not put on this earth to waste away in dimly lit, windowless settings where our "hard work" is hardly appreciated or rewarded.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for working hard, but when you get shit from your bosses for not putting in the "extra hours" even though all of your work has been completed in an impressive fashion, that pisses me off. It turns into a competition to see who can kill the most time in the office so the bosses see you are putting in more hours so they assume you must be working hard. What I am trying to say is that if you are a cubicle dweller, you know how much time is wasted during the typical workday, and surprisingly, all of your work still seems to get done on time. Imagine if you could focus for 3-4 hours, get all of your work done for the day, and have all that time on your hands! What would you do?

This is what I have been thinking for a couple of days now and I believe that I can pull this off. I have recently realized that I am fairly good at writing and I know their is a strong need for web content writers out there. I also know that with that extra time, I would get my crossfit certification as well as some other fitness certifications, I would get into kiteboarding, Mtn bike more often, get into photography, learn the drums, most importantly LIVE MY LIFE!

So here is my goal:
By January 1st I want to be freelance writing for 5 websites, have at least 2 certifications in fitness completed and have my crossfit cert scheduled.

We will visit this in a month and a half and see where I am.

Think about what type of legacy you want to leave on this planet when you are gone. What would you think of the life you are leading when you are on your death bed. Would you be proud of your accomplishments and the path you chose or would you wish you had pursued your passions and enjoyed life? It's never too late to make a change.

No comments: